Our client, a fruit breeding and licensing company, is looking for an Agronomist to join their innovative team. The successful candidate will have a Bsc degree in Agronomy as well as experience in vineyard cultivation (wine or table grape varieties).
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
· Perform regular visits to designated commercial farms where our company’s proprietary varieties are grown under license, evaluate the varieties’ performance, identify and report on technical challenges, provide growers with technical support and follow up on its implementation and progress.
· Evaluate the adaptability of our company’s new proprietary varieties to existing and new production regions and, together with the company’s agronomy team, develop guidelines for best cultural practices for these varieties.
· Develop and implement various channels of communications with our company’s licensees in the region, such as WhatsApp groups, broadcasting, newsletters and field days and use these channels to deliver valuable technical information at relevant times during the season.
· Maintain consistent and productive relationships with entities and professionals who may contribute to our company’s success, such as government and private researchers, extension service, farm advisors, growers’ associations & committees, etc.
· Consistently search, identify and evaluate efficiency and feasibility of new technologies that may be beneficial to our company and/or to our licensees.
· Support the Licensing Manager with information needed for best business management.
· Conduct field trials (i.e. applied research) aimed at creating new knowledge needed to overcome technical challenges that limit yield and/or fruit quality of our company’s proprietary varieties.
· Research objectives as well as trial designs, execution and reporting (in English) will be carried out as is customary in our company.
· B.Sc. degree in agronomy, specialization in viticulture an advantage
· Previous experience in a similar role, such as technical/research assistant, or agronomist, or a farm advisor. Practical experience on a grape farm would be an advantage.
· Deep knowledge of the Vitis genus, anatomy of the grapevine, plant nutrition, soil characteristics, rootstocks, irrigation systems and other agronomic subjects. Additional knowledge of other tree/vine crops would be an advantage.
· Outstanding verbal and non-verbal communicational skills, in English and in native language.
· A pleasant personality, gets along well with colleagues, clients and with those with whom theyreport to.
· High flexibility and mobility, readiness to travel, willingness to work during non-standard hours and on weekends/holidays if necessary.
· A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint.
· An understanding of procedures, responsibilities, and systems.
· Exceptional time management skills, with the skill to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
· Organized, good at documenting and retrieving data, files and reports.
· Curious, investigational in his/her DNA, always willing to try and learn something new.
· High level problem solving skills, a keen eye for detail.
· High level of organizational ability, and the ability to seek and suggest improvements.
R40 000 – R60 000 Gross (Responsible for own medical / retirement / annuity benefits)
Please use the following reference number in the subject line of your email: CR373 when applying for this position. Please submit your CV in Word Format to email@example.com. Kindly consider your application unsuccessful should you not receive feedback within 1 week.